The role of the pharmacist has expanded from dispensing medications to that of an integral part of the health care team, with expertise in patient drug therapy. In response to the growing demand for pharmacists who also are knowledgeable in population-based health care, the School of Pharmacy and the Master of Public Health Program at the Keck School of Medicine of USC have developed the dual PharmD/MPH degree.
This dual degree emphasizes training for those who seek to be agents of change within the profession, preparing them for leadership roles at the local, state and national levels, as well as expertise in conducting research in hospital- and community-based settings.
Participants in the PharmD/MPH complete all pharmacy and MPH requirements in a total of five years—one year less than would be required if each degree were completed independently.
Admission Requirements and Application Process
hg体育官网Students interested in the PharmD/MPH degree must be accepted by both programs.
hg体育官网Requirements for admission include:
- a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university with a minimum GPA of 3.0
- a minimum score of 1000 on the GRE (will also accept GMAT, MCAT, PCAT)
- Students will not be given special consideration for admission to either program because they are applying for the dual degree.
hg体育官网Students may apply to the dual PharmD/MPH degree program in two ways:
- Submit applications to both programs simultaneously.
- Identify yourself on both applications as a potential dual-degree student.
- If you are admitted to both programs, you will be offered admission to the PharmD and contingent admission to the MPH program, pending your passage of all courses in the first year of the PharmD program with a minimum 3.0 GPA.
- If you are accepted by only one program, you may choose to attend that program, but will not be eligible for the dual degree.
Apply for the dual degree after acceptance to PharmD
- You may instead submit an application to the MPH program during your first year of enrollment in the PharmD, prior to the MPH published application deadline.
- If you choose this option, you must apply through the School of Pharmacy.
- If you are admitted to the MPH program, you will be offered admission to the dual degree if you pass all courses in your first year of the PharmD program with a minimum 3.0 GPA.
hg体育官网For more information, please call the Office of Admission and Student Affairs at (323) 442-1469 or the Department of Preventive Medicine at (626) 457-6676.